List of Top 10 Longest National Highways in India: Hello users, if you are searching for longest National Highways (NH) in India then we have brought the list of 10 longest highways in India. Many questions have been asked in competitive exams related to National Highways. The National Highway is a very essential part of the road network that connects the northern, southern, eastern, and western parts of India with each other. It is a very important source of inter-state movements and transportation of travellers and goods. All of us should thank the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) which takes care of this road network from construction to maintenance. National highways play a significant role in the development of the country’s infrastructure. In this article, we will discuss the top 10 longest National Highways in India.
Longest Highways in India
NH 44 is the longest national highway in India, covering a distance of 3745 kms from Srinagar to Kanyakumari. NH 44 was formerly known as NH 7. The National Highway, NH 44 has come into existence by merging seven major national highways of the old number including NH 1A, NH 1, NH 2, NH 3, NH 75, NH 26, and NH 7.
List of Top 10 Longest National Highways in India
In India, there are more than 200 national highways. In the following list, we have mentioned the 10 longest national highways in India, their route, and distance. So let’s check out.
|Serial Number||National Highway (NH)||Distance Cover (in Kms)||Connectivity (Route)|
|1||NH 44 |
(old NH 7)
|3,745||Srinagar to Kanyakumari|
|2||NH 27||3,507||Porbandar in Gujarat to Silchar in Assam|
|3||NH 48 |
(old NH 8)
|2,807||Delhi to Chennai|
|4||NH 52||2,317||Sangrur, Punjab to Ankola, Karnataka|
|5||NH 30 |
(Old NH 221)
|2,040||Sitarganj in Uttarakhand to Ibrahimpatnam in Andhra Pradesh.|
|6||NH 6||1,873||Jorabat in Meghalaya and terminates at Selling in Mizoram|
|7||NH 53||1,781||Hajira in Gujarat and Pradip port in Odisha.|
|8||NH 16 |
(Old NH 5)
|1,711 .||East coast of West Bengal to Chennai in Tamil Nadu|
|9||NH 66 |
(Old NH 17)
|1,622||Panvel and terminates at Kanyakumari|
|10||NH 19 |
(Old NH 20)
|1,435||Delhi to Kolkata|
Important facts about National Highways in India
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) is an autonomous authority to develop, maintain, and manage the National Highways of India.
- India has the 2nd (second) largest road network in the world
- The total length of National Highways (States wise including UTs) is 132499 Km(s)
- NH 44 is the longest national highway in India, covering a distance of 3745 Kms.
- NH 47A is the shortest highway of India, having a length of 6 Kms.
- The Leh-Manali Highway is the second highest-altitude motor highway in the world, connecting Shimla in Himachal Pradesh with Leh in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Colors in National Highways: Yellow and White color is for national highways. Green and White for state highways. Black and White is for city highway.
State-Wise Summary of National Highways Length (included states and UTs)
|Sr. No.||State/UT||NH Length as on 01.03.2019|
|12||Jammu & Kashmir||2,423|
|33||A & N Islands||331|
|34||Dadra & Nagar Haveli||31|
|35||Daman & Diu||22|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
- Questions-1. Which is the longest highway in India?
- Answers-1. NH 44 is the longest National Highway in India.
- Questions-2. What is the length of the longest highway in India?
- Answers-2. 3745 Kms.
- Questions-3. India becomes the [ ___ ] largest road network in the world.
- Answer-3. 2nd (second) largest road network in the world (road length 5,903,293 Kms.).
- Questions-4. What is the old name of the longest highway in India?
- Answer-4. NH 7
- Questions-5. What do the colors represent on national highways?
- Answer-5. Colors in National Highways: Yellow and white color is for national highways. Green and white for state highways. Black and white is for city highway.
Visit “sarkariresultsss.com” regularly for more updates and latest jobs.